About the Apereo Foundation
Apereo is a network of institutions like yours. We help to support software used in thousands of educational institutions worldwide. We have a growing list of software developed and maintained by Apereo Software Communities. We're also the place higher education software projects, new or ongoing, can find help, support and sustenance. Our incubation process supports new projects as they chart the path from innovation to sustainability, with communities developing around products such as EDexchange, a transcript exchange solution, and the innovative OnTask student feedback project. A recently graduated project, OpenEQUELLA is a digital repository that provides a single platform to house teaching/learning research, media and library content.
Apereo is a global network, with member institutions on six continents. We actively seek to develop partnerships to further our mission of creating and sustaining software supporting learning, teaching and research. Our partnership with our sister organisations, the ESUP-Portail consortium in France, and the LAMP Consortium, creates a network of over 150 higher educational institutions and partners. It’s a network where you can share experiences and good practice, learn from the experiences of others, and discover new partners for collaboration.
There are many good reasons to become a member of the Apereo Foundation. By becoming a member, you –
- Ensure proper support for software you rely on. Your membership dues support effective licensing and intellectual property rights (IPR) management practices, infrastructure support, community coordination, event support, outreach, and more. IPR management, particularly, is the bedrock free and open source software is built on. Don't depend on another organization to make the contribution needed to let software you rely on survive and thrive.
- Ensure choice in the marketplace. A healthy open source ecosystem and viable open source alternatives to commercial-proprietary software helps to keep the market honest. Even if you currently don’t use open source software, it makes sense to support a Foundation that helps maintain sustainable open source alternatives.
- Give your institution a vote in the way Apereo is run, and how it sets priorities. Your institution has a vote in elections for the Apereo Foundation Board, which provides strategic leadership for the foundation.
- Are able to access programs such as the Apereo Incubation Program. Have a software project you believe meets a higher education need? Apereo is the place to find partners and learn from others who've grown communities to sustain software.
- Become part of a community of peers - a global network of educational institutions working together to address common issues and solve common problems - with many opportunities to participate. In the last three years, Apereo and its predecessors have held conferences on five continents. Members can access our principle events at discounted rates.
You can discover more about Apereo by reading our The Value of a Common Foundation document.
- For Higher Ed institutions - How to become a Educational Organizational Member and learn more about membership dues.
- For Companies - How to become a Commercial Affiliate Member and learn more about membership dues.
- How an individual can donate, or become an individual member of Apereo, check the Friends of Apereo page.
For more information about Apereo Membership please contact membership[at]apereo[dot]org