The South African Apereo (Sakai) Community is a growing collection of higher education academic institutions,
private colleges, commercial training providers, and a political party.
The South African Apereo (Sakai) Community is a growing collection of higher education academic institutions, private colleges, commercial training providers, and a political party. The following adopters of Sakai in South Africa are effectively using and enhancing their Sakai CLE environments:
- University of Cape Town (UCT) actively participate in the development effort on Sakai CLE, committing regular code patches and bug fixes, and have contributed tools back into the community out of their Sakai implementation Vula.
- University of South Africa (UNISA) assisted more than 1.2 million students in 2011 through their Sakai Implementation, myUnisa. Unisa is the largest open distance learning institution in Africa and the longest standing dedicated distance education university in the world, enrolling nearly one-third of all South African students.
- University of the Witwatersrand (Wits) in Johannesburg had their eLSI (eLearning Support and Innovation) unit implement Sakai as Wits-e in 2012.
- North-West University (NWU), continues to serve their students from Sakai, their implementation is branded eFundi.
- University of the Western Cape (UWC), as the most recent higher education Sakai adopter, with their Sakai instance branded as iKamva, will scale it’s pilot implementation across the institution in 2013.
- eta launched etaConnect in February 2013, a Sakai instance that enables online learning for distance education students. etaConnect eases access to resources and the submission of tasks, enabling graduates to qualify as fitness practitioners, sport coaches or sport managers.
A number of smaller South African institutions are leveraging off the community and using Sakai to their advantage:
- Cornerstone Institute (Private Education),
- Democratic Alliance (Political Party),
- Gert Sibande College (Further Education and Training College),
- Quirk Education (Private Marketing Company),
- eta college (Private Education),
- Accounting Professional Training (APT) (Private Education), and the
- Rhema Bible College (Private Education).
OpenCollab is Africa’s first and only Apereo (Sakai) Commercial Affiliate, contributing actively to the worldwide Sakai CLE QA effort, and participating in the regional South African Apereo (Sakai) Community through project delivery, consulting, and facilitation.